Request a signed hardcover copy ($25 + shipping)
PRESS FOR ROCK NEEDS RIVER
- The Atlantic had a beautifully nuanced and thoughtful review: “McGrady’s adoption story is rare and important … Rock Needs River reminds the reader that although open adoption is often characterized nowadays as the enlightened, humane way to adopt a child, it can come with its own complications.”
- Included in the Washington Post’s 10 Books to Read in February: “Adoptions in the United States were once conducted with sealed files and sealed lips. Some have gotten much more open, but Vanessa McGrady took it to a different level when she invited the homeless biological parents of her adopted daughter to live with her. Nothing went according to plan, and McGrady chronicles her non-fairy-tale path to parenthood with uncommon candor.”
- I had the great pleasure to be on August McLaughlin’s Girl Boner Radio podcast.
- So much fun to do Traci Thomas’ The Stacks podcast. She’s such a cool and fun and smart interviewer. We also talked about Nicole Chung’s All You Can Ever Know the following week.
- Bustle said: “Her memoir shares the complicated, compelling ride.”
- Kirkus Reviews said: “… The conversational tone makes the reader feel like a trusted friend … She offers interesting insight into the lives of those who adopt and those who give up a child for adoption, as well as the personal angst that goes along with such a decision. An expressive and love-filled tale of a unique adoption scenario.”
- Publisher’s Weekly said: “… McGrady’s memoir is a touching and honest adoption story.”
- CBC Out in the Open (Canadian radio): It was hard. ‘Til this day, I wonder what I should have done differently, what boundaries should I have drawn? What could I have done to make it right?” McGrady wondered. But she also said she had to remind herself she’s Grace’s parent, not theirs.
- Sunshine Shed said: “She’s a fiercely loving and protective mother, which redeems the more complicated, flawed, and frustrating parts of herself that she puts forth in this book.”
- Fun video interview with Michelle Dunton of Writing Fun. She’s so gracious!
- An excerpt in Salon
- Book Q & As with Deborah Kalb
COME TO A READING/SIGNING
Tour Stops for Vanessa McGrady’s ROCK NEEDS RIVER
Saturday, February 2 | Glendale, CA | Glendale Public Library, 2:00 p.m.
Friday, February 8 | Port Townsend, WA| Phosphene, 6:00 p.m. CANCELED DUE TO SNOW STORM Saturday, February 9 | Seattle, WA | Third Place Books, Lake Forest Park, 6:00 p.m. CANCELED DUE TO SNOW STORM
Thursday, February 21 | New York, NY | Shakespeare & Co., 939 Lexington Ave., 6:30 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday, May 11th & 12th | Minneapolis, MN | Wordplay Book Festival